Site Admin

Moving Along

Post by Milli » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:08 pm

The rebuild is going smoothly. As of right now it does the following:

8Mb on Drive A
160kb Drive B
256kb on Drives C & D
60K on Drive M

Drive A can have up to 512 directory entries so there is plenty of room there.

The I/O has been changed. It uses an 80 column screen and CTRL -> show the right 40 columns, CTRL <- shows the left 40 columns. It handles all the control & Escape sequences. Below you can see the difference. I have to chase down a bug on how it handles errors - right now it is displaying things wrong - It's hard to find space in the bios - as I remove old code I fill it with new code. I am tempted to drop IOBYTE support totally - right now it only works on input and that is relatively useless. I am debating the CCP replacement - will it be command line like it is now or should I make it a Text GUI? When DRI designed this they had to write for the smallest possible system - with this rewrite I can aim to use all RAM in my CCP if needed.

I am also debating the RAM drive - Its either leave it alone, remove it or make it use the maximum of 512k possible.

All feedback is welcomed!

"MilliDos"
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.81 KiB) Viewed 236 times
"CP/M"
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (25.43 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Here is a little FYI I learned about CP/M on the Adam:

1. Page D29 of the manual is wrong - the current version of CP/M does not handle setting the foreground and background color as it says it does.
2. They "cheated" when writing the Adam version of CP/M - they left EOS in the RAM and then used the EOS Device routines and other things.
3. A lot of things were hard coded that are not in other systems. The drives, how many etc.
4. They liked to write code that was self-modifying and reused alot. Maybe they saved a few bytes here and there but again this is the Adam they knew how much room they would have for the bios.
Milli

JimN-NIAD

Re: Moving Along

Post by JimN-NIAD » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:35 pm

It's really starting to take shape and is peeking my interest more and more to get back into using CP/M. So with the 80 column support, is it a "Moving Window" like SmartWriter where the screen automatically scrolls when typing character 41 on or one has to use the Control + Arrow sequence to jum back and forth.

I vote for adding support for large Memory Expanders as a RamDrive.

Still can't wrap my head around why Coleco choose a 32 column screen when 40 column patches for software such as SmartBASIC and others like T-DOS and SpeedyWrite displayed via RF output was plenty clear.

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 pm

JimN-NIAD wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:35 pm
It's really starting to take shape and is peeking my interest more and more to get back into using CP/M. So with the 80 column support, is it a "Moving Window" like SmartWriter where the screen automatically scrolls when typing character 41 on or one has to use the Control + Arrow sequence to jum back and forth.
It will Do both but unlike how CPM and others handle it the control + arrow toggles left and right screen not just move one character. Also control up puts you in the pseudo 80 column mode (default) and control down puts you in 40 column mode. There are other options in 40 column mode I’ll detail later.
Milli

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Looking good! How readable is your pseudo-80 column? Unless by that you mean your split-screen scheme?

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Wmaalouli wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:11 pm
Looking good! How readable is your pseudo-80 column? Unless by that you mean your split-screen scheme?
It’s split screen :)
Milli

lotonah

Post by lotonah » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Just even switching from 32 column to 40 column makes it infinitely better. I love the Adam, but *HATE* that 32 column font, the letters are too far apart and makes things quite tough to read.

Your 80 column solution is pretty sweet!

joltguy

Post by joltguy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 am

I am definitely a fan of the 40 column mode and the way you've implemented the 80-column support sounds like a huge improvement over the single-character movement of the original ADAM CP/M.

Will the drive sizes be hard-coded as you've listed them or will the drive sizes be user-configurable? The defaults you have there do make sense since most 3rd party disk images will be 160K. I'm just thinking it'd be handy to be able to temporarily set drive B as a 8MB so files can easily be copied over to another large disk image.

As for drive M my vote would be to let it use whatever extra RAM it has access to. Its not a lot of storage space but speed-wise its really nice.

Looking forward to the next release of MilliDOS!

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:44 pm

Something that may be interesting - after gutting all of the escape sequence code from the BIO I freed up over 1k in size - My Escape code only takes up about 200 bytes. True they was using Mode 3 but still - anywho its coming along swimmingly.
Milli

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:29 pm

I have it working the parallel printer now as well as the smartwriter. Next step is the serial port.
Milli