What is Adam 2018?
Adam 2018 is a software package that helps improve your Coleco Adam experience. The initial release is a front end to the excellent Adam emulator originally created by Marcel de Kogel and currently maintained by Geoffrey Oltmans.
Upcoming version release information:
- Initial release – Adam Emulator Front End (November 2017)
- Image manipulation, view directories and files in images, copy and paste (December 2017)
- Adam Virtual Disk Drive (AViD) integration (Spring 2018)
Installing Adam 2018
Once I decide on a good installer (i.e. free) I will automate this:
- Unzip the archive – I suggest putting it in C:\ADAM2018
- Right click on t he “Adam 2018.exe” icon and select Send To .. Desktop Shortcut
- Navigate to where you unzipped it and enter the “vc” folder
- Run the program “VC_redist.x86.exe” – this will install the needed DLL’s
- Restart your computer – this is a must else the DLL’s will not be registered
- If you do not have a working copy of Adam EM on your computer continue these steps, else run Adam 2018 and use the Configuration / Program option to tell Adam 2018 where the emulator is (see menu options below)
- Windows 7, 8 and 10:
- Navigate to the “emulator” folder and right click on the program adamem.exe
- Select Properties
- Select Compatibility
- Click the “Change settings for all users” button
- Check the “Run this program as an administrator” option
- Click OK
- Click OK again
- Now run AdamEm.exe, if pop ups show asking if you want to allow changes tell it yes, tell always / never ask again
- Windows XP (and possibly Vista):
- Navigate to the “dosemu” folder
- Double click on the “adamem.exe” file
- When it asks if you want to run it uncheck the ‘Always ask before opening file” box and click Run
- When Smart Writer opens, press CTRL+F9 and then select Quit Emulator
Adam 2018 is now ready to use. If you installed for XP you will need to initially go to Configuration / Program in the Adam 2018 program and navigate to the “dosemu” folder and select adamem.exe as the emulator.
Adam 2018 Main Menu Options:
- Adam – Starts the Adam Emulator using the configuration given. If you have not configured it yet it will start in Smart Writer.
- Colecovision – Lets you select a cartridge (.rom) file and then starts the emulator in Colecovision mode.
- Configuration – Shows the configuration options:
- Program – Select where the Adam emulator is. By default it will use the copy that came with Adam 2018
- Disk Images- Select up to 4 disk images (.dsk) to use with the emulator.
- Tape Images – Select up to 4 tape images (.ddp) to use with the emulator.
- IDE Images – Select up to 2 IDE images to use with the emulator. You will also need to have your first disk image be the IDE boot software. You can use the supplied image bootide.dsk in the support folder.
- Expansion RAM – Select the size of expansion ram to use.
- Additional Options – Any other options you may want to use to configure the emulator. A full list of these options is in the file AdamEm.txt in the emulator folder.
- Help – Shows the help options:
- About – About Adam 2018
- Exit – Quit Adam 2018
Drag and Drop:
You can drag and drop any disk (.dsk), tape (.ddp), IDE (.img) image or cartridge (.rom) into the window (or program icon) and Adam 2018 will immediately start it. If you drag an IDE image it will also start the bootide.dsk image.
You can change the background of Adam 2018 by replacing the file background.bmp in the support folder with one of you own choosing. The dimensions used are 600 pixels wide and 300 high at 72 dpi and 24 bit color depth.